TS20: On the CSX Hanover Subdivision route, experience 20 realistic scenarios!
Written by: Gary Dolzall.
The extraordinary challenges of modern railroading can all be yours with the CSX Hanover Subdivision route and its special scenario pack bundle!
Immerse yourself in modern and challenging freight railroading – hauling heavy main line tonnage, working locals, switching yards, and serving lineside industries – with the 20 realistic scenarios available in the new CSX Hanover Subdivision + Scenario Pack bundle!
The new CSX Hanover Subdivision route for Train Simulator delivers contemporary railroading amid rolling farmlands, rugged mountains, and the history-rich and scenic countryside of Maryland and Pennsylvania with ten included scenarios! Developer High Iron Simulations – known for its realistic scenario packs – has, to complement the new route, also created CSX Hanover Subdivision Scenario Pack 01, which includes another ten authentic career scenarios!
The new CSX Hanover Subdivision route for Train Simulator extends from Porters, Pennsylvania (east of Hanover, Pa.) to Hagerstown, Maryland.
- The eastern section of the line, traditionally part of the famed and popular Western Maryland Railway, passes through rolling and classic "Pennsylvania Dutch" farmlands, while the western portion of the route is dominated by the crossing of the Blue Ridge Mountains (also known as South Mountain), and features grades of up to 2 percent, Jack’s Mountain Tunnel, and two horseshoe curves! The mountain crossing and even the farmland sections of the railroad feature a “saw-tooth” profile, making for remarkable operating challenges.
- Across its length, the route is packed with more than 20 line-side industries, including manufacturing, food processing, agricultural, warehousing, and aggregates facilities. Sprawling quarries and a massive cement plant on the line generate heavy rail tonnage, and the subdivision has interchanges with three short lines (York Railway, Maryland Midland, and Gettysburg & Northern).
- The route passes through a famous and historic part of America, including Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, site of the largest and most important battle of the American Civil War, where the rail line crosses a portion of the preserved National Battlefield. And the wonderfully restored Gettysburg station is the location at which President Abraham Lincoln arrived to give his timeless "Gettysburg Address."
- The new Train Simulator CSX Hanover Subdivision route includes a selection of four locomotives and a variety of freight equipment, highlighted by a superbly crafted CSX SD40-3 rebuilt locomotive! Enhanced versions of the CSX GE Dash 8-40CW (in CSX YN3b livery), EMD CSX SD40-2, and a short line EMD GP9 complete the locomotive roster. And the route also provides a selection of a dozen types of freight equipment.
- The route itself includes ten realistic and diverse scenarios (nine career scenarios and free roam scenario) created by High Iron Simulations and you can receive and enjoy ten additional High Iron career scenarios – 20 scenarios in total – as part of the specially-discounted route + scenario pack bundle. All scenarios are based on actual railroad operations and train symbols, providing you with real-life railroading experiences!
As an engineer on the remarkable Train Simulator 62-mile CSX Hanover Subdivision route, you’ll face the challenges of heavy-haul railroading on roller-coaster grades, a combination that requires a steady hand on both throttle and brakes! And in addition to main line operations, you’ll tackle a variety of local and switching operations at lineside industries and amid the urban settings and railway yards of Hanover, Gettysburg, and Hagerstown!
Modern, heavy-tonnage railroading amid the scenic and history-rich farmlands, mountains, and cities of Maryland and Pennsylvania awaits you in the new CSX Hanover Subdivision route for Train Simulator – and you can extend your railroading enjoyment, at special savings, with the route + scenario pack bundle offer now available at the Steam Store! – Gary Dolzall
Immerse yourself in modern and challenging freight railroading – hauling heavy main line tonnage, working locals, switching yards, and serving lineside industries – with the 20 realistic scenarios featured in the CSX Hanover Subdivision + Scenario Pack bundle! On the CSX Train Simulator CSX Hanover Subdivision route, eastbound and westbound freights meet at Hanover, Pennsylvania. Screenshots by Gary Dolzall.
The western terminus of the CSX Hanover Subdivision route is Hagerstown, Maryland, where you’ll not only handle yard duties but tend to line-side industries. En route to make a pick-up, a CSX SD40-2 and SD40-3 duo pass the vintage equipment of the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum (above), then later switch gondolas at a lumber and materials siding (below).
The CSX Hanover Subdivision serves more than 20 lineside industries, among them large quarry and cement facilities that generate heavy tonnage for the line. Just east of Hagerstown, a CSX EMD SD40-2 spots covered hoppers at the massive cement plant and quarry complex at Security, Maryland. Tight confines at the cement plant make switching a real challenge.
The crossing of South and Jack’s Mountains by the Hanover Subdivision route is impressive, with a tunnel, grades of up to 2 percent, and a pair of horseshoe curves. Distinctive CSX SD40-3s are easing their way down the steep eastern slope of the snowy mountains on a winter day.
The CSX Hanover Subdivision makes its way through historic Pennsylvania and Maryland countryside, nowhere more so than its passage across the American Civil War Gettysburg Battlefield. Making its way through “The Railway Cut” and across McPherson’s Ridge, a westbound CSX train witnesses the area where heavy fighting occurred on July 1, 1863.
Gettysburg is also host to a CSX yard and interchange with short line Gettysburg & Northern. Working an eastbound freight, a duo of SD40-3s pass the G&N wye and engine house. The career scenarios included with the route and scenario pack bundle are based on authentic railroad operations and train symbols.
Agricultural products provide extensive tonnage for the CSX Hanover Subdivision route and a duo of CSX diesels are switching a large grain facility at Granite, a few miles east of Gettysburg. With the route and scenario bundle, you’ll go to work in the engineer’s seat of four different locomotive types (CSX SD40-3, SD40-2, GE Dash 8-40CW, and short line EMD GP9).
Three sprawling quarry operations are found on the CSX Hanover Subdivision route, and one of your tasks will be handling “Rock Runner” unit stone trains from the quarry at Bittinger, Pennsylvania. The CSX Hanover Subdivision route includes a dozen types of modern freight equipment, a number of which are provided in multiple liveries.
The namesake town and central operating point of the CSX Hanover Subdivision is Hanover, Pennsylvania, home to numerous industries, a CSX yard, and a connection with the York Railway. A duo of CSX EMDs is carefully making its way through Hanover (above), while on a stormy evening a pair of Dash 8-40CWs tend to switching duty (below).
Hanover is home to several rail-served food processing plants and CSX GE Dash 8-40CW 7653 is on the point as a freight makes its way between the buildings of one such facility on the east side of Hanover. All told, the route includes more than 20 lineside industries, providing you countless challenging experiences operating locals and switch jobs!
A pair of venerable and classic short line EMD GP9s are handling interchange at Smiths siding near Porters Junction, the eastern terminus of the Train Simulator CSX Hanover Subdivision route. The route features short line interchange points at Gettysburg, Hanover, and Porters.
Modern, heavy-tonnage railroading amid the scenic and history-rich farmlands, mountains, and cities of Maryland and Pennsylvania awaits you in the new CSX Hanover Subdivision route for Train Simulator – and you can extend your railroading enjoyment, at special savings, with the route + scenario pack bundle offer available at the Steam Store!
Screenshots and images displayed in this article may depict content that is still in development. The licensed brands may not have been approved by their respective owner and some artwork may still be pending approval.
TS20: On the CSX Hanover Subdivision route, experience 20 realistic scenarios!